Friday 28 March 2014

The ten item wardrobe and the Yasmin Yoke Skirt

Over the past couple of years I have been attempting to have less 'stuff' in general and certainly in the clothing area of my life.  I am afraid I will have to admit that I have been and still am excessive in the amount of clothes I have, but I like clothes and I like variety. However, I am not alone in desiring the perfect capsule wardrobe especially as people are becoming increasingly aware of being eco conscious and minimising harmful effects on the environment.  There are a lot of books, blogs and websites supporting and encouraging these ideals, some even going as far as getting rid of their cars and living in tiny houses.  Whilst this interests me, I don't know if I could really take it that far.  However, the more I read about minimalist living, the more I like the sound of it and I have come to the conclusion that more clothes perhaps equates to less style.

Liberate Yourself with the ten item wardrobe....10?  Yes 10!


One very motivating book is Lessons from Madame Chic by Jennifer L Scott.  Amongst a whole lot of other ideas one major part of her book is the 10 item wardrobe.  This is where every season you review your clothing and select 10 main items,  this consists of skirts, trousers, dresses, sweaters and blouses.  You are also 'allowed' outside of this 'extras' which are things like jersey tops, cardigans, jackets, fancier dresses and shoes.  I love the ideas and yet it's so simple, in fact, it's really how I remember my mum and her sisters dressing when I was young (in the 70's and 80's) when people had less stuff because that's how far the budget went.  However, the premise of Jennifer's idea is that, where possible, buy the best that you can afford.  So if you are to do this and have a ten item wardrobe (or even 20) you would want to be sure that you loved every item and it really suited you in both style and colour. The results are that there is no more wondering what to put on in the morning, every item in your wardrobe should go with all the other items and your wardrobe is neat and clutter free. Yea!

Whenever I decided to do all this, I also started sewing my own clothes mainly to try and get clothes that fit me better.  So minimalism is not easy when you sew, well there is so much lovely fabric out there.  However, I have sold nearly 50 items on ebay and given a lot away to charity so that's a good start.  I have also been doing the Wardrobe Architect exercises from the Colette patterns website which has been great.  So, on paper, this is my twelve item wardrobe for spring 2014 (well it doesn't have to be 10 exactly!)

2 skirts
Trousers 1 wide leg trousers, 1 cigarette trousers
Perfect fit jeans
2 sweaters
2 blouses
3 dresses

Will I be able to stick to this?  Honestly I doubt it, but I am going to really try.  I am pretty sure there are a lot of lovely spring/summer sewing patterns about to be released and I know I won't be able to resist.

So I think I may have made one of my items on my list now... one of the skirts.  It is the Yasmin Yoke skirt by Maria Denmark and I am very pleased with it.


It is a slightly A line skirt with two hip pockets and an invisible zip closure at the back.  I have had the pattern for ages, but only getting around to making it now.  It was a quick and straightforward make.  I used a darkish blue denim for this.

Yasmin Yoke skirt worn with Deer and Doe blouse.
It was only my second invisible zip and it went in very well.

Can you see the zip?  Ha ha.





So I guess if I am to have two skirts in my spring attire, they have to be a great style for me and suit my life and I think the Yasmin works for me.  Just have to get the rest of the items sorted now.

1 comment:

  1. The skirt looks fab, and the zips gone in really well to say it's only your 2nd. I've just bought this pattern, so found your blog whilst googling this skirt.
    Good luck with the 12 item wardrobe. ��✂️��

    ReplyDelete