Friday 3 April 2015

Spring colours & an Oakridge blouse.

There is a little hint that spring might actually be here, in that the daffodils and primroses are out, the gorse hedges are in full bloom (just in time for dyeing your boiled eggs for rolling down the hill), the clocks have gone forward an hour and there are little lambs in the nearby fields bleating their hearts out.

I reckon that's my cue for getting the brighter, lighter fabrics out of the stash and get cutting.  I have had some lovely rayon challis stashed from last year and I thought it was time to use it.  I had already used the butterfly one for my Cappuccino top in the autumn and it's lovely fabric, washes and wears well.


So this fabric is from the same Anna Maria Horner collection, Field Study and this one is Coordinates in Cyprus, a lovely turquoise and off-white combination.  The pattern I went for is the Sewaholic Oakridge blouse, I have been hankering after a pussy bow-type blouse, but couldn't decide which one to go for.  A lot of them are quite vintagey looking and I'm not into that look per se, so whenever the Oakridge pattern was released I really liked it.



There are two versions of this fitted blouse, one a collarless version and the other with a pussy bow collar, a button placket and a shaped hemline.  For me the trickiest part was really in the cutting out and the pattern matching.  I took great pains to get it right as with this pattern I thought it would be really obvious if it was wonky.


As with any of the Sewaholic patterns that I have tried, the instructions were great, there were no real tricky bits, I just took my time and with my new Janome sewing machine, I think I have got over my phobia of buttonholes.  I made the size 16 with no adjustments, but I think next time I would take it in to a 14 from the waist down as it's a bit baggy in the hips.  I also (thankfully) took 2 inches off the sleeve length and they just hit my wrist which is fine.  I think the overall length is fine too.


I am pleased with the way it has turned out, the fabric is really lovely to wear and I would love to try the collarless version too.  Happy Easter.

No comments:

Post a Comment