Friday 2 January 2015

Happy 2015, Highlights, reflections and Goals.

Happy New Year, just taking a little time to reflect on 2014 and divulge any goals I might have for the new year.


Reflections

Sometimes you have to be careful what you wish for.  One of my 'resolutions' at the beginning of 2014 was overall to make less, but make better.  I did this but it was slightly enforced due to circumstances, in that my father was ill in May and then was in hospital for 8 weeks coming up to Christmas, therefore sewing and knitting took a back seat, but that's life.

I was also meant to be buying less fabric and patterns, which I did, but I still made quite a few purchases, so I have a list of things I want to try in 2015.

I also wanted to 'embrace the buttonholing' as my sewing machine was a bit hit and miss.  I did do some button holes, but it was a struggle, but my lovely husband bought a lovely Janome sewing machine for me for Christmas, so I really have no excuses now.  Very chuffed with that on Christmas morning!

My new Janome


Skills wise, I suppose my best makes as regards techniques were the Yasmin Yoke skirt (invisible zip), the Emery dress (fashioned a pleated version of the skirt, invisible zip, lining a bodice etc) and the Liberty Banksia (very proud of the placket and collar)

Megan Nielsen Banksia bouse.

So overall, in what was a personally challenging year, I suppose I didn't do too badly.

Highlights

Highlights for me were things I took part in which helped to develop the mindset of 'less is more' and striving to be more minimal.

These were:

Taking part in the Wardrobe Architect series by Colette patterns. You can read about it here.

Striving to do the Ten Item Wardrobe as per Jennifer L Scott at dailyconnoisseur here, I have also a winter ten item wardrobe, which I will post soon.

Leading on from the above two and taking it all a step further, the theproject333.  I started this properly in mid November.  You basically pick a total of 33 items of clothing for 3 months and that's it.  It is meant to include clothes, jewellery, shoes, boots and handbags.  For me this has been an amazing process, I sold a lot of items on ebay, gave a lot to charity and at the start  I felt bereft, but I have only done a month and a half and I can already see the benefits.  Will probably do a post soon about this. For a craft person who sews and knits you would think it would be impossible to do, but it just makes you a lot more selective which is great.

Taking part in MeMadeMay for the second time, lovely to see other peoples' makes, receive nice comments and seeing photos of you in your own makes.  (good or bad?)

Taking part in OWOP in September, great to show how a particular sewing pattern can be very versatile.  You can see it here.

Sewing an Emery dress for sewdollyclackett

I suppose the last highlight was receiving my new sewing machine.

Emery dress sewn for Sewdollyclackett

Goals

To be honest, I'm almost afraid to make any goals as this year showed me how unpredictable life can be, so I'm going to keep this simple.

Knitting - Still want to knit socks, but am seriously evaluating the whole knitted garment thing.  Doing project 333 has made me realise that although I have quite a few heavy, thick sweaters I rarely wear them.  I hate to say it but they're just not very useful, usually too thick to wear under a coat and usually to wet to go out with just a sweater on, so I think either I stop knitting sweaters/cardis or I have to knit in finer, lighter yarns.  Also it is really expensive to knit now if you want to use proper yarn (ie. not acrylic and polyester)

Sewing - Continue to improve my skills, especially fitting, experiment with different necklines and shapes.  Try and stick to what I know suits both my shape and my lifestyle.

Immediate sewing plans

Sew a Liberty shirt for the hubbie.


Finish the Girl Friday Culottes - there was a little error in the pattern in the size I made, so it didn't work out, but I now know the problem, so I hope to finish them soon.

Make my perfect shirtdress - Could be McCall 6696, Grainline Alder, not sure yet
Some ideas I might try to emulate on my pinterest board here

Sew some cardigans, looking most likely is the Jenna Cardigan by sewingmuse

So quite a lot to be going on with.  2015 here I come.

No comments:

Post a Comment