Wednesday 18 June 2014

A Kwik Sew for the boys.

So after Me-Made-May there has been a strange period of itsy-bitsy unfinished sewing projects. My Peggy skirt is so nearly finished, I mean really it has taken a ridiculously long time.  All I have to do is make a buttonhole, sew on a button and hem it.  Soon, honest.  There have been other dabblings but disappointingly I haven't sewn anywhere near what I wanted to for summer, other things in life have just taken over.  However, it's not as if I don't have any clothes to wear, so it has to be put into perspective.

It is lovely in amongst all the skirt, dress, blouse desires to once in a while make something for one of my boys.  In this case it is the hubbie and a summery shirt.  This is actually the second time I have made this for him and he liked it so much last year, he requested another one.



The pattern is the Kwik Sew 3250 which I got from Sewbox which has a great range of patterns. Some of the Kwik Sew patterns might initially look slightly old-fashioned but I think a lot of the time it depends on your choice of fabric and your own 'interpretation' of the style.  This is only my second Kwik Sew pattern, but both have been for males and I found them great, very straightforward instructions and some nice wee touches, so I would highly recommend them.


So last years version was made in this handloom organic cotton bamboo mix and was great in very hot continental hot weather, very soft and cooling.  I was a bit short of time so used a similar fabric from organiccotton.biz which is a crossweave fabric called chirpy green, which I had in my stash.  I have used a lot of fabrics from this company now and personally I like them.  As the fabrics are handmade in a traditional way there may be marks which might look like flaws, but this is part of the nature of the fabric.  If you like this 'au naturel' look then you will like these fabrics.  The crossweave is slightly heavier and a bit more coarse than the bamboo cotton, but as we will be holidaying in the U.K.  I think it will be fine.


So this is Version C of the pattern, short sleeves, no collar and lots of practice of top-stitching, just in time for Father's Day. I would say it is a loose-fitting, very casual style ideal for those men who wear the tradional button up shirt and tie for work about 320 days of the year, like my hubbie does. Other male patterns to try might be the Colette Negroni or the range of patterns from Thread Theory Collection, there are a few in it I would like to try for my sons, which have a more modern edge.

So there you go, some selfless male sewing for a change.

No comments:

Post a Comment