Friday 19 August 2016

The Gypsy blouse by The Maker's Atelier



So, thought I'd share one of my most-worn items so far this summer.  It's the Gypsy dress and blouse sewing pattern from The Makers Atelier.  It's the second pattern I have made from their collection, the first being the holiday shirt and top which turned out rather large on me, but I have since made in a smaller size.

In general the styles are a bit over-sized as I made the Medium (12/14) in the Gypsy top and it feels slightly big, but I think it's part of the style of it. 


Seamwork Moji Trousers and Makers Atelier Gypsy Top.

I made it in the stripey Cotton and Steel double gauze which is cerise pink, mint green and taupe, I've had it a while so thought I'd better use it.  Double gauze is perfect for the summer and in this case I have tended to wear the top as a cover-up over a vest top or lightweight t-shirt, a handy top for a balmy evening!



It was a very quick straightforward make, it's a raglan style sleeve, so no set-in.  You can elasticate the sleeves and waist hem, but I did mine with a plain hem, so very fast indeed.



The drawstring is fed around the neckline through bias binding - I used a fancy one from Guthrie-ghani.co.uk with a lace edge which looks rather nice.


The patterns are a little bit on the expensive side at £22.50.  They come in a substantial cardboard packaging with a cord closure, the instructions are printed on a folded sheet of paper and the pattern itself is printed on a top quality weight paper.  However, there are quite a few other 'Indie' pattern companies who produce similar if not higher quality patterns for a lot less.


I think their strength may lie in the fact that they are, in general, quite simple styles and as such could be made to look quite different by using different fabrics, so you could get multiple uses from their patterns without it being blatantly obvious. So, cost per use might make it worth it, it has definitely been a go-to, so I'd say I'll probably be making it again, so possibly justified.

No comments:

Post a Comment