Sunday 9 April 2017

Zadie



So, after a very long hiatus, I thought it was time to get back to blogging.  A combination of factors, like busy life, trickiness of getting proper photos in winter light and different priorities meant the blog took a back seat.  But I have been making and this is the first make I want to share (bad hair and all!)
It is the highly recognisable Tillyandthebuttons Zadie dress, a jersey dress with lots of scope for using different colours of jersey and putting your own slant on it.

It has striking diagonal seams on the front and back bodice, pockets (Yeah!), option of long, 3/4 or cap sleeve and a flattering pleated skirt.

Tilly has a little mini Zadie that you can print off to try out different combinations of colours/fabrics which is a good idea.  She also sells ready made kits in various colour combinations.



For my version I used the Saint James ponte jersey in navy and emerald stripe.  I got a few different colour variations from fabric.com a while ago.  It's amazing quality, cosy and a lovely weight, very cosy indeed.  The navy and emerald are from a local fabric shop.  I don't think I will use a stripe fabric again personally, definitely not in the skirt section.  It's never going to be straight because of the curve of the pattern where bodice joins the skirt and because of the pleats.  It looks as if it is really sloping down in the photo, it's not as pronounced in reality but I think I will avoid stripes.


It's a pretty straightforward sew, the only potentially tricky bit is the pivot points where bodice, skirt and side panels are joined.  All I would say is make sure you mark the dots accurately and clearly and hit those dots bang-on with your needle. With all Tilly's patterns her instructions are excellent with photos all along the way.


So, overall a lovely comfortable, cosy dress which has been perfect in winter to spring, but I am planning a more summery one with the cap sleeves.

Will be back soon to share some other makes before I make my summer sewing plan and look forward to Me-Made-May!

No comments:

Post a Comment